The Pass. The Judgement day of plates.

The Pass. The Judgement day of plates.
Bring the finished plates up to the pass for inspection.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

fruit en papillote ( Fruit wrapped in Paper )

This wonderful and summery dessert is one that comes to me as fresh and seasonal. The idea of this dessert falls simply on beautiful fruits and or berries being wrapped in baking paper and then baked in the oven. I first learnt this method of cooking through my early years of culinary, although i remember it was done with fish wrapped on the inside but fruits and berries work just as well.

You don't need very much for this simple and inspiring fruity dessert, besides your favorite fruits and berries, you just need a sheet of baking paper and an oven. You slowly roast the fruit and berries in the oven and let all the juice marinate together. After 10-15 minutes of roasting, you should be able to lightly detect the beautiful and aromatic scent of your ingredients.  Then you peel the package open to reveal all the delicious fruits and berries, nicely roasted, soaking in it's own sweet juice and it's soft and tender.


To finish off this dish, you can add an scoop of vanilla ice cream or sorbet and for a nice crunchy texture, you can sprinkle cookie crumbles on top. We finished our fruit en papillote with a quenelle of fresh strawberry sorbet and two almond sugar cookies.


8 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dessert. Simple but lovely. The cookies are the perfect touch. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've always wondering how you guys work in a pro kitchen. I enjoy your blog very much. Love seeing what's going on in the kitchen. I was working at an Italian Restaurant in New Zealand 20 years back. I'm not a pro or whatever, just a kitchen helper. And had learned alot from there. I've never attended any professional training or so. I think cooking & baking are much the same. It's from your heart, right! And I could see you really have a heart in you that some day it may shine like a star. So, keep on the good work. Looking forward for more from your kitchen! Enjoy your day.
    Cheers, kristy
    p/s I'm glad I finally make this comment. I was busy for the past few weeks. Be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting idea - would not have thought of baking summer fruits, but will now have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really very simple!! very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an elegant dessert...love the variety of fruits and the color are so pretty all together. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This would work great with filo pastry instead of the baking paper me thinks. looks great!

    ReplyDelete